Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Is it Normal yet?

Here we are, 12 days from That Day. I still have the vivid picture of how K looked being wheeled off the helicopter on a stretcher, intubated, unconscious, just so tiny and helpless. To the chaplain that met me in the ER, I apologize from the bottom of my heart for ignoring you. You just must understand, mothers as a group don't want to be met by chaplains in ER's when their tiny little girls are coming off of care flights, it just doesn't send a positive message. Somewhere inside I was processing why chaplains are sent to mothers and I did not want to be that mother. Thank you for being there and thank you for understanding and not making a big deal out of my reaction to you.

Those of you who know me know that if I continue to write everything that has happened and where we are, I may never stop. Let me bullet:

Bebe:
Scar is healing nicely
Still has nightmares
Still gets headaches
Will always be beautiful
Is driving Hubby's "old" truck and loving it

K:
Collar bone is badly broken and painful
Is staying awake for 9 hours a day now
Has difficulty with fine motor skills
Gets speech therapy
Gets Neuropsych therapy
Gets Physical therapy
Gets new nail polish anytime she asks

Both girls are perfect exactly as they are at this moment in time. Me....the jury is still out. There are some things I have learned that I hope every parent can embrace:

1. If there are no Varmints, her bedroom can be really dirty and the world still spins.
2. Everything my child says is priceless, even when I am busy.
3. If she/he wants to wear that favorite T shirt to school AGAIN, it's fine.
4. I will never miss an opportunity to memorize the specks of color in my children's eyes.
5. I will let them get dirty and not complain about stains.
6. I will always remember the difference in mistakes and willfulness, no one wants to be punished for mistakes.
7. I will think of all the things I said "maybe later" to, is it later yet?
8. The last thing I say before they leave for school is very important.

I will include updates from time to time here but....we need normalcy! I am vowing to blog about something senseless tomorrow!

No comments:

What have I been talking about?

Lake Travis

Lake Travis
The view from our fav eatery.