Saturday, October 11, 2008

School Day Blues

After many wonderful years at Pewitt CISD the kids had their first day at Leander ISD. This meant going from a school district with about 1,000 kids district wide to a high school (1 of 4 in the district) with over 2500 kids, a junior high (one of 8) with over 2,000 kids, and an elementary (1 of 15) with over 2400 kids. When I called the High School to help S find her NHS chapter I had to recite an 8 number student ID, my DL number, and our PIN number. After this, I patiently held for 10 minutes while the secretary tried to find out who the NHS sponsor was. Then I listened politely while the NHS sponsor told me to have S's "old NHS sponsor" write a letter on school letter head to prove she was inducted then they would evaluate her "worthiness" because "those country schools get so excited about just having a chapter that they will put just anyone in". To avoid jail time, I did not go to school that day. After school S told me she was 20 minutes late for her spanish class because she couldn't find the classroom and the teacher helping her couldn't find it either. Pep and K made fast friends in their schools, but it all seemed so unmanageable with three different dismissal times, three different campus calendars, you get the idea. So on Friday, I politely withdrew my kids in true hillbilly fashion, drove 10 miles down 183 and enrolled them in 3A, 5 time Football State Champion Liberty Hill ISD, 2000 kids district wide and a thriving NHS chapter that even kids from little country schools can transfer into. Go Panthers.

No comments:

What have I been talking about?

Lake Travis

Lake Travis
The view from our fav eatery.